Saturday, July 26, 2008

My flight experiences

Next saturday, I have a flight scheduled at 1050 AM. I doing all packing from today itself.

My flight to Mumbai on 10th May, was scheduled at 3 and I reached airport @2.30. It was a bussiness trip and I can not think of missing this as I had a mid-night flight to NY on the same day.
In Calcutta airport, there was a long Q before the xray machine and luckily I managed to get it through quickly. It was few minutes left before they 'd close the check-in counter. I was feeling very nervous as I had missed flights on 5 occassions ( believe me, all was not my faults). When my turn came, I was told by the lady that this counter is not for economy class and alas, I was told to wait in that Q by one of their employees only. Anyway, when the lady saw that there was only 5/6 minutes left, she was kind enough to issue me a boarding pass. Reached Mumbail @5.30 and there was sufficient time before my next flight to NY. From now onwards, I'd make it a point that I'd reach Airport ( Rail/Bus station) atleast one hour earlier.
--> REACH AIRPORT ATLEAST 1 HOUR EARLIER ( for Domestic travels).

I have a notorious history of missing flights by all probable reasons. Last time ( few months back) I booked the ticket few days in advance. I saw the ticket dates etc and informed my sister back home to send the car to airport on such and such date. I did not bother to check the ticket twice ( Overconfidence !!). And guess what, I read arival time as the departure time. And realized it only after reaching airport. I booked the next days ticket and informed home that due to some urgency, I can not come that day!
--->NEXT TIME, I WILL X-CHECK TICKET FOR DATE, ARR/DEP TIMINGS etc.
--->WILL DO IT ATLEAST TWICE - ONCE AFTER PURCHASING TICKET, ONCE PREVIOUS DAY OF JOURNEY.

Reporting late is probably most common reason for missing flights. ( Well for politicians, it is a custom to report late and make the flight wait ). Around a year and half back, my flight back home was at 6 AM. I was having a nice adda that night and set alarm of my cell phone at 3.30 AM (Airport was 1 hour drive). When I went to bad, it was 12 midnight and just to reconfirm I set the alarm of my cell. Hicccccccccccccc...on my cell, setting alarm twice means - reseting to "no alarm mode"....I got up at 8.45 next morning!!! I slept again, as there was no point of going airport. Got up at 1030, went to airport city office. Luckily I got and 85% refund.
-->IF YOU HAVE AN EARLY MORNING FLIGHT, SLEEP EARLY PREVIOUS NIGHT.
-->SET THE ALARM ON YOUR CELL, PRIOR TO GOING TO BED. VERIFY TIME, "AM/PM" etc.
-->ASK SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS TO CALL YOU AT TIME WHEN YOU PLAN TO GET UP.

No comments: